Norm Lewis: The Music of the Night - A Review

I had the chance to see an old friend last night.  Seeing him brought back good memories of my summers in Florida. Before I could get my hug and catch up with what’s been going on for the past (if I tell you, I’ll have to shoot you) years, he shared with me and the packed house at the Kodak Hall at the Eastman Theatre “The Music of the Night!”


His impressive resume rivals any Broadway, small or large screen actor and his role in the Phantom of the Opera made history. Norm Lewis was the first African American actor to portray the Phantom on Broadway! The humble Lewis makes sure you know that he is standing on the shoulders of actor Robert Guillaume who first performed the role in the Los Angeles production . He also received a Tony nomination for his role of Porgy in “Porgy and Bess!”  Google him and be prepared to be impressed!!

 
He has shared the stage with artists like Audra McDonald, Johnny Mathis, Vanessa Williams, Diane Reeves, Rochester’s own Renee Fleming, and too many others to mention!  And if all of that isn’t enough, he has a reoccurring role as Senator Edison Davis on the hit television show, “Scandal” and an upcoming show with Vanessa Williams on VH1!

During his press tour in Rochester, words used to describe him were “a true gentleman” “down to earth” “charming” “handsome” etc…. I hate to admit I’ve never seen him perform live, so I had no idea what to expect. During his tribute to Johnny Mathis, he sang “Misty” which was exactly how it left me. This was my father’s favorite song! His velvety baritone voice literally gave us chills! Norm took us on a stroll down the Great White Way through song, sharing the significance of each piece with the audience. He surprised me with a passion-filled rendition of Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” and talked about the world’s current state without preaching to the choir. He did however share with us his trip to the White House and meeting President Barack Obama with a little Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen sprinkled in.

Considering they only had a day to rehearse, Norm, conductor Ramon Ricker and the orchestra seemed like they had been working together for years! I was reminded that we have a gem right in our backyard with the RPO and the Eastman School of Music!

As the evening came to an end, I did get my hug and we chatted about old times.  It was so wonderful to spend time with an old friend, but the cherry on top of the sundae was spending time with a star! And a very bright one at that! I’m proud of you, Norm! Continue to make us Misty……

Mr. Norm Lewis has made The Dean's List 


Download “This Is The Life” by Norm Lewis on iTunes 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

The Dean's List - Superbowl Edition