Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

I originally wrote this in 2001 for the Democrat & Chronicle while serving on the Board of Contributors. My daughter was getting ready to start her senior year in high school

We all remember that TV commercial a few years ago that showed the man riding on a shopping cart down the aisles of a office supply store.  He was celebrating the fact that his kids were going back to school.  All parents know that the closer September gets every year, the happier we become.  Summers can be a very stressful time for parents.  Trying to find activities to keep kids busy and safe can be almost impossible at times.  Fact is, school is out, but work goes on.  Every year, I have taken the first week of school off as vacation from my job just so I could exhale.

Now, do you also remember the TV commercial for the same office supply company where the parents are measuring their child’s room so they can install a hot tub?  I always smiled when I saw that commercial because I said that would be me one day.  Well, one year from now, I will be breaking out the tape measure. 

Where did the time go?

For years I have worked to prepare my daughter to be successful.  I’ve made sure she received a quality education, involved her in numerous extra-curricular activities, encouraged her to volunteer in the community and taught her to have respect for herself and others.  I am very proud of the person my daughter is becoming.  I guess one thing that I didn’t prepare for was the fact that one day, the young lady that I had spent 17 years grooming for life, would eventually have one of her own…..

Two weeks ago, my daughter had a photo shoot done for her Senior pictures.  After the shoot was complete, the photographer showed us a slide show of the pictures.  That’s when reality set in and the tears started to flow.   My little girl is all grown up and will be starting her Senior year in September.  The photographer assured me that I was not the first parent who has cried in that studio.

A couple of days after the photo shoot, my daughter and I hit road on a college tour.  And this week, in between practice for this and rehearsal for that, I had to drive her to her SAT Prep class.  This time, picking her up was a little different because she drove home!



In a time where there are so many children carrying weapons, on drugs, pregnant, etc.., and my daughter has managed to stay away from all of those negative things, why am I feeling so sad?  Maybe it’s because I fear that I am losing my child, my buddy, my room mate, but mostly, my best friend.  Since she was born, it’s just been me and her.  We have done everything together and have always relied on each other for everything.  More and more I realize that the majority of things she used to rely on me for, she can now do for herself.

As we continue to sift through the mounds of college brochures we receive daily, get ready for the Junior prom this month, shoot for another 100 points on the SAT, and get the night drivers license (maybe a car, Dad?!?), I must continue to remind myself that change is good and this is the outcome I have hoped for since the day she was born.  I may need therapy, Prozac and a padded room when it is all over, but I will still be the proudest mom in the world.

Can anyone recommend  a good hot tub salesman?

My daughter Eloni Yawn has made The Dean's List

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

The Dean's List - Superbowl Edition