The Night I Met Frankie



Bobby Warren is a concert promoter based out of Rochester. B & R Productions was responsible for bringing dozens of big shows to town. I was introduced to Bobby by Andre from WDKX. I catered several concerts and plays Bobby brought to town. I even hosted the entire cast of a play at my two-bedroom apartment one Thanksgiving (a whole other story). Bobby and I ended up becoming very good friends. 



I just had major surgery and was very disappointed that I wouldn't be able to attend the upcoming Maze featuring Frankie Beverly concert. Bobby was the promoter and and called me to ask how many tickets I wanted. When I told his I couldn't come, he said he would make it happen. Later that day, he called with a plan. He told me to have someone drop me off at the backstage door and he would have a chair, on the stage, behind the curtain and I could watch from there! I was so excited! Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. I experienced a post-op complication and had to stay in bed. To say I was disappointed was an understatement!


Two years later, Bobby brought Frankie back to Rochester!! As soon as he booked the show, he told me he had two tickets for me! I grabbed my cousin Connie and we headed to the Auditorium Theater! We both had massive smiles on our faces when we learned our seats were front row, center!!! I don't think anyone in the whole theater ever sat down once during the show! Not surprised...that's the way it always was when Frankie hit the stage! Bobby told me to come backstage after the concert was over.

 
Connie and I went backstage to look for Bobby. Once we found him, he said Frankie ran straight to his hotel because his girlfriend surprised him and showed up in Rochester. I don't know who was more disappointed me or Bobby. Determined to make it happen, Bobby took us to the Hyatt Regency on Main St. and we met up with Frankie!!!! Bobby told him I was the lady who was supposed to come the last time he was in town. He was like, "Oh, that was you? I was waiting for you. How are you feeling?" Chile! You couldn't tell me nuttin! Yes, I said "nuttin!" We posed for some pictures and said our goodbyes.


I've seen him several times since that night. The last time, a couple of years ago when my daughter opened for him at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix. It was clear that he wasn't the same Frankie vocally,  but it didn't matter! The vibe was still the same. When he couldn't hit the notes, the audience did it for him!


The music world has lost a giant! It's unfortunate he never gained cross-over recognition, an AMA or a Grammy...but ask any black person, of any age, who is Frankie Beverly? They will tell you his music was played at every party, graduation, cookout, family reunion, etc..There could be no celebration unless Mr. Beverly's music was playing.


I thank God I will always have his music. I'm sure he is in heaven, wearing all white and leading the electric slide with the angels.


For the last time, Frankie Beverly has made the Dean's List 


SN: Bobby Warren has also made the Dean's List! Thanks for all the opportunities! I'll never forget!

Comments

  1. I love 💕 your Deanslist keep it coming!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Dear Michael.....I Remember The Time