A Lesson In Humility - Part 1

Originally Published November 22, 2008

Me and Kemet
Have you ever had a day, week or a month where everything goes wrong? Well, I'm coming off of two of the worst weeks I can remember in a long time. I started out on such a high from the election. Beginning on election night, every time I would see or hear about President Elect Barack Obama, I would cry tears of joy!

I spent most of that week helping my daughter get prepared for a once in a lifetime trip to California (I will share more with all of you in January about this trip - mums the word). By Thursday, she had everything she needed and was all set for her trip that Saturday. I am very proud of the things my daughter is doing. I cried again - this time they were tears of pride.

I retuned home from work on that Friday to find out that my dog, best friend, son - Kemet had been sick most of the day. I rushed him to the Emergency Vet Hosptial - the news wasn't good. The Wake Up Club's Liz Medhin rushed to the hospital to be with me and stayed with me while I said goodbye to Kemet - my constant and only companion for 11 years. Liz drove me home since I was too upset to drive. Once there, I got in the bed and stayed there for a week - crying tears of pain.

I decided it was time to come back into the land of the living, so I got up this past Monday morning and did my web updates to WDKX.com and proceeded to get ready for work. It had snowed overnight and I wasn't prepared for that. You see, I'm still driving my Arizona car and hadn't planned to drive it in the winter in Rochester. No under-coating, rear wheel drive and high performance tires - All no, no's in the winter! I didn't want to be late on my first day back to work in a week, so I decided to drive anyway. I never made it past my house - as my tires continued to spin, I realized there was no way I was going to make it, so I pulled the car back into the driveway and started walking to the bus stop (I hadn't taken a bus in 25 years). As I approached the corner where the bus stop was, I watched the bus pass by. The tears started to well up in my eyes - This time, they were tears of frustration.

I spent the entire week taking the bus or walking everywhere I had to go. I even had to walk from work to VENU to get ready for the CD Listening party and my interview with Brandy. On that walk, I thought about everything I had gone through over the past two weeks. Now mind you, I'm coming off of probably the worst two years of my entire life. The enormity of it all hit me as I stood in front of VENU, in the cold, waiting for someone to show up to let me in. The tears started again - this time they were tears of anger.

My faith has truly been tested and I was at the end of my rope. I started praying for the wrong things and decided that I would just give up! That is until yesterday. A series of events took place Friday that dried my tears up - all coming from perfect strangers.

My Lesson In Humility Began......

Part 2 on Monday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

Dear Michael.....I Remember The Time