My Dream Trip On Amtrak

Dean's Dream Trip

Those of you who know me know that I always lived a very active lifestyle and one of the things that I loved to do was travel. The last trip I took was in September 2013. I started a new position, was taking care of someone who was ill and moved into a new place. All of that activity led me to November of 2014 where my life totally changed.

So here I am in 2017....4 surgeries later, a back brace, cane and a spine full of titanium! I haven't worked in over two years (a first since I was 16) and living on monthly disability checks which amounts to a fraction of what I usually make in a month. I've been saving my pennies over the last year to enable me to do something to lift my spirits.  Once I received the OK to travel, I decided to fulfill a lifelong dream......

For as long as I remember, I've always wanted to travel cross-county on the train, in a sleeper car. I had the money, but never had the time. I was always in a rush to get to my destination and get back home so I could head back to work. After my trip last week, the only issue is why I waited so long!

I boarded the train in Rochester, NY and reserved a regular seat.  It was very comfortable, so I slept through most of the 11 hour trip.  We arrived in Chicago's Union station the next morning.  Because I purchased a sleeper car for my trip from Chicago to Phoenix, I was allowed to wait for my next train in the Metropolitan Lounge which literally rolled out the red carpet!  There I was treated to complementary beverages, including wine, healthy snacks, televisions and big, comfy couches and chairs.  There was also a room for you to safely leave your baggage in case you wanted to venture out, which is what I did.  Not being able too  walk far didn't make a difference.  Anything I wanted or needed was in the beautiful Union Station.  After a quick 4-hour layover, a Red Cap loaded my bags and me on a cart and drove to the awaiting train.

I was assisted onto the train and brought to my "Viewliner Roomette."  It was small, but every inch of space was used wisely.  Once we started moving, my room attendant, Cory came to my room to get me comfortable and acclimated to the train.  There was a cafe car for snacks and drinks, a dining car complete with white linen tablecloths and real silverware.  And for people with sleeper cars, there are showers available and ALL meals are included! And the meals are delicious!! Since I don't move around to well, my attendant delivered most of my meals to my room.  Each of the 3 days I spent on the train, I ordered something different in order to try everything. Never once was I disappointed!  As night fell, Cory arrived to my room and turned down the seats and converted them into a very comfortable bed.  The only thing missing was chocolate on my pillow!

I highly recommend taking a cross-country trip on Amtrak!!!  The amazing service, comfort, food and last but not least, the scenic view! It allows you to see the country in a way you've never seen before!  It is more pricey than taking a flight, but so worth it!  The regular fare is very reasonable, but the rooms are more.  They have different size rooms. Mine was the smallest, but seated and slept two people comfortably.  I saw whole families in the large bedrooms that are also available.  The rooms are one flat fee.  Whether you are looking for quiet time for yourself, bonding time with the family or romantic time with your love/spouse, Amtrak is the way to go!!!

I haven't booked travel for my return to Rochester, but wish I could do it again.

Here are some of the pictures I took along the way in random order:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/The-Deans-List-182858684167/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155242224229168

Amtrak has made The Dean's List

Thedeanslist1@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

The Dean's List - Superbowl Edition