Remember The Time......My Ode To Michael Jackson

I wrote this letter to Michael Jackson shortly after he died:
  
Dearest Michael,

A piece of my heart died last Thursday.  I couldn’t believe it when I heard the news.  How could you be gone?  I haven’t stopped thinking and reminiscing about you since.  I will never forget the times I spent with you.

You came into my life the same day I bought the Jackson 5’s first album – which was my first album too – well the first one I ever owned.  “Diana Ross Presents the Jackson 5” never left my record player for months after I got it.  From the first listen to “I Want You Back” and “Who’s Loving You” to how cute you looked on the album cover – I knew you were the one for me.  There are so many times I remember from that day forward…..

I Remember The Time….When the Jackson 5 came to Rochester in the early 70’s.  My sister was allowed to go, but I couldn’t.  I cried for hours into my pillow while listening to your album.

I Remember The Time….When The Jackson 5 cartoon came on for the first time.  I never missed a Saturday morning episode.  I always looked forward to seeing which song would be featured that week.

I Remember The Time….When you released your first solo project, “Off The Wall”.  My girlfriends and I would dance for hours in the mirror trying to recreate the moves we saw you do in the video.  “Off The Wall” is still my favorite album of yours.

I Remember The Time….When you came to Rochester as the Jackson’s with LTD.  I had just been hired at WDKX Radio as an Intern.  Mr. Langston gave the whole staff tickets, so I made it to that show and was right down front at the stage.  A night I will never forget.

I Remember The Time….When the Motown 25 Anniversary special came on.  The night “The Moonwalk” was born!  I could hear everyone screaming from their houses through the whole neighborhood.  Incredible!!!!!

I Remember The Time….When MTV actually played music videos and the premieres of your new videos were events in the community.  Everyone rushed home to see it.  We then talked about it at school, work, where ever the next day – all day!

I Remember The Time….When I thought you should be happy with how you looked – I say don’t mess with perfection, cause baby, you were so fine!!!!

I Remember The Time….When I felt like some of the decisions you made weren’t good one’s, but I never thought that you harmed or hurt anyone – ESPECIALLY CHILDREN!!!  It’s obvious that the facts and evidence proved your innocence, even though there are some small minded, judgmental and prejudiced people who disagree.

I Remember The Time….When I heard the news that you left me.  Mr. Langston walked into the room as I was preparing dinner and told me you had died.  I was numb.  On my ride home, I turned on my iPod and listened to you all the way there.  Still numb, I watched the coverage on the news about you.  I wanted to cry, but it wouldn’t come out.

I Remember The Time….The first time I cried (I’ve cried 3 times) after hearing that you were gone. 
  1. I watched the news, and I saw WDKX”s Atu talking about you.  The passion in his delivery showed me something I had never seen in Atu before.  I was finally able to let the tears flow.
  2. Again, on Atu’s show, a 13 year old young lady by the name of Maya called in.  She made a statement that, “"people said he was not happy, so God took him".  The tears came again.
  3. And the third time was watching the thousands that showed up for the WDKX Tribute party in your honor.  All people, all ages, all races came together to pay tribute to you.  It was a beautiful night on Water Street!
Dear Michael, now all I have are the memories of you.  You are flying with the Angels and probably teaching them how to Moonwalk.    Rest in peace dear Michael.  Now you dwell where you can be who you are and not be judged.

P.S. I also remember the time when you released my favorite MJ video.

Michael Jackson made The Dean’s List before there was a Dean’s List.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

The Dean's List - Superbowl Edition