Mike Paz & TOP

As most of you know, I used to maintain the website and social media for WDKX Radio. I also wrote a blog called The Dean's List. Five years worth of updates and original blogs were deleted from their website and they were unable to retrieve anything. Needless to say I was heartbroken since I didn't keep copies of everything....A mistake I will never make again!!!  So, bear with me as I take a trip down memory lane (pun intended) and republish the items I had copies of.  This is one of my favorites from June 2009! 

Usually, I review concerts, interview artists and share it with all of you.  I am going to do a little something different this time.

Unless you have been living under a rock for the last 40 years, you already know the type of performance Tower of Power is known for.  They didn’t disappoint any of the 10K plus crowd on hand for Friday night’s concert.  For those of you who hadn’t seen the band in awhile, you were treated to the lead vocals of Larry Braggs who has been with them at least the last 8 or 9 years.  My personal favorite, he gives Lenny Williams a run for his money.  The show was phenomenal!!  But for me and a few others, that wasn’t the best part of the evening.

As most of you know, former WDKX morning show host Mike Paz had a stroke in March.  It was very serious and was touch and go for a minute.  Paz in now residing in a rehab facility and has made great progress.  I went to see him last week and one of the first things we talked about was the upcoming Tower of Power concert.  You see, Paz is a major fan of the group and hated the fact that he would not be able to attend the show.  I told him to talk to the staff at the center and see if they would release him for one evening.  I told him if they approved it, I would see to it that he made it to the show.  They said yes!!!!  So, with the help of WDKX’s Andre Marcel, the transport plan was put in place and all systems were go.

By mid-week, I started to think how I could make the night special for Paz.  I logged onto http://www.towerofpower.com/ and sent an email to the group telling them about Paz.  Almost immediately, I received a response back from the tour manager, Jack.  He told me that the group would do everything they could to make Paz’s night a special one.  If that wasn’t an understatement, I don’t know what is!

Upon our arrival, there were already thousands of people on East Avenue.  We didn’t know how we would wheel Paz close to the stage, but thanks to Andre and his detour around Midtown Plaza – we made it!  There was a security guard posted at the side of the stage.  I asked for Jack.  He said that Jack wasn’t there, but he was expecting me.  Tower of Power had a section right next to the stage reserved for us (also with us were Paz’s sister and brother-in-law from PA, two of his great nieces, his friend Shelly and his social worker Sharon). 

Once we entered the section, Jack arrived and introduced himself to me.  He offered me his hand, but a hug was definitely in order for this occasion.  He asked me to wheel Paz backstage because the band wanted to meet him.  Paz was real quiet at first – I don’t think he could believe what was happening.  The band talked with Paz, gave him a copy of their new CD, a tee shirt, a hat and a signed glossy.  They chatted with all of us and posed for pictures.  And if that’s not enough, during their encore performance, they dedicated “Your Still A Young Man” to Paz! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTRzVBxkSqA
 
Words cannot describe how magical this evening was for Paz – all of us for that matter! 

The appreciation we all have for the gracious and personal treatment received from Tower of Power cannot be put into words.  They didn’t know us – they had no idea we were affiliated with a radio station - the only thing they knew was that a major fan of theirs could use a pick-me-up and came through in a BIG way!  Jack told me on the phone that it was their pleasure to help – “we are nothing without our fans”.

Thank you Tower of Power!!!!!!!  You have no idea how special this night was for Paz and the rest of us.  It was a night none of us will ever forget.

We thank you from our "Souls, With a Capital S” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQNFm9zWoo


Tower of Power and Mike Paz has made The Dean's List

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

Dear Michael.....I Remember The Time