My Role Models - My Sisters

Ruby Lockhart

This is an op-ed I wrote that was published in the Democrat & Chronicle in August, 2013. I thought today would be a great time to share it again.....Mother's Day 2019


When I moved back to Rochester from Phoenix 6 years ago, I was unemployed and very scared.  I had never been without a job before and didn’t know what was ahead of me. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would be where I am right now!
City Council President Loretta Scott

When you turn on the television these days, most Black women are portrayed in a negative way, from the news to those horrible reality TV shows.  I literally feel embarrassed when I see it!  When I see any of these three women on TV, pride is the only thing I feel.

Mayor Lovely Warren
I actually work two part-time jobs.  I do PR & Marketing for Garth Fagan Dance and I am a Legislative Aide for a Rochester City Councilmember. With both jobs, I get the opportunity to work with what I consider three of the most powerful women in Rochester…All three, Black women!

I report to Ruby Lockhart, Executive Director at Garth Fagan Dance. Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know who she is.  Former co-owner of All Day Sunday in Midtown Plaza, Ruby is most known for her passion and dedication to the Arts in Rochester.  I’ve known her for over 25 years and she has served as my life mentor.

I also report to City Councilmember Loretta Scott as her Legislative Aide.  Coming from a corporate background, I really didn’t know what to expect when she hired me four years ago, especially since I didn’t know her that well.  It is hard to put into words what I have learned from Loretta, because there is so much to list.  The main thing she has taught me is to learn everything there is to know about whatever task you have in order to make sure the outcome is the correct and fair one.  Also, her knowledge of the English language often has me reaching for the dictionary.

And then there is City Council President and Mayoral Candidate Lovely Warren.  I don’t report to her, but our paths cross daily, I also attend numerous meetings and events that she is involved with.  I’m the type of person who may not say much, but I pay attention to everything going on around me, what is being said, mannerisms, body language, etc. Initially, it was very hard for me to believe that Lovely is only in her 30’s, because she carries herself like a polished, senior business/political professional that had been around for decades. I’m amazed with her knowledge base about almost everything! A woman in her position gets all type of negativity thrown at her on daily basis, but she always handles it with such poise and grace.

Separately, these women are a force to be reckoned with. All three love Rochester and strive to make it a better place. With women like this on our side, you can best believe our community is in capable hands!  Being fortunate enough to be in the presence of all three of them on a daily basis often times makes me need to pinch myself.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s not always warm and fuzzy!  Each one will put me in my place and tell me if I’m wrong without hesitation….Another reason why I feel so lucky!

My role models….They are women….Hear them roar!


Mayor Lovely Warren, City Council President Loretta and Ruby Lockhart have all made The Dean's List

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

Dear Michael.....I Remember The Time