When Memories Come Full Circle.....


On Monday night, I had the opportunity to see the man who contributed in a major way to one of the few memories I have of my dad (my dad died when I was 6).  It was such a blessing to receive when a blessing was truly needed!! The Maestro himself, Sergio Mendes! More on that later.....

 

As you have all read before, one of my dearest and longtime friends, Scott Mayo has traveled the world and performed with dozens of artists. Earth, Wind & Fire, Chaka Khan, Anita Baker, John Legend, The Rolling Stones and my personal favorite, Al Jarreau to name a few. For the last 12 years he has been not only touring with the incomparable, legend Sergio Mendes, he has been arranging. Scott called me a couple of months ago to let me know he would be performing here in Scottsdale and told me to save the date. I've seen him live numerous times. Seen him on countless award shows like the Grammy's and NAACP Image Awards. I've seen him on numerous reality shows like American Idol, The Voice and Dancing with the Stars. I've always been impressed. He owns the saxophone! Watching him Monday night was a little different.....

 

The show was AWESOME, but that wasn’t the best part for me. Watching my friend Scott, play saxophone, flute, keyboards, and singing lead on "Never Gonna Let You Go", I was overwhelmed with pride. His performance was perfection! While Sergio was introducing the band, he called Scott "Maestro!" Coming from him, that is an ENORMOUS compliment! When he mentioned Scott was from Rochester, being one of 3 Western New York audience members, the whole theater knew the ROC was in the house! Yeah, we were a little loud! Woot Woot!!

I've had a connection with Sergio Mendes for years that Scott didn't even know about. My father was a hardworking man with one day off a week - Sunday. After he would leave church, he would set up shop in the living room and listen to his extensive jazz collection for the rest of the day. I remember some of those days. Whenever anything from Jimmy Smith, "Misty" by Richard "Groove" Holmes or "Mais Que Nada" by Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 came on, he would jump off the couch and start dancing. While listening to them performing Mais Que Nada Monday night, I closed my eyes so I could remember standing on my daddy's feet while he danced to it. Watching my childhood friend, Scott Mayo playing it, doesn't get any better than that.

 

It was an amazing night! Unfortunately, due to COVID restrictions, I was unable to meet Sergio, but my time spent with Scott was beautiful! Thank you for treating my crew to an awesome show! Love You!


Scott Mayo and The Maestro Sergio Mendes have made The Dean's List

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

The Dean's List - Superbowl Edition