RIP Al Jarreau

I have tons of stories about working at a radio station at such a young age. I was 16 years old and working at WDKX Radio as an intern. One of the air personalities was Marge Bell. She instantly became like a big sister to me. Wherever she was, I was tagging along.  She told me her favorite singer was performing at the Auditorium Theatre and Mr. Langston had given her tickets and backstage passes. She invited me to come with her. I hadn’t heard of this artist, but I was always open to try new things.

The singer was Al Jarreau! I had no idea that he would become my favorite singer of all time!

Most people know him as the guy who sings, “We’re In This Love Together” or the theme from “Moonlighting.” True fans of his wouldn’t count those songs as favorites from his extensive discography! Combine jazz, pop, R&B and gospel, and you have Al! The only vocalist in history to net Grammy Awards in three different categories (jazz, pop, and R&B, respectively),

But more than anything, his live performances were PHENOMENAL!! People who weren’t fans of his became super fans after seeing him live! His energy was contagious and he always hand picked all of the members of his band, who were always tight!!! Guys like Marcus Miller, Nathan East, Bobby Lyle and Rochester’s own and WDKX alum, Scott Mayo toured the world with Al. Whenever he made his way to Upstate NY, I was there, along with his family who live in Victor, NY.

Last week, Al’s management announced that his was in the hospital and would have to retire from touring. This news saddened me because I thought I would see him again, but I’m grateful I was able to see him several times and even had the opportunity to meet him a few times.

I know we all have to die. I know he was sick. But, this one has hit me hard! I loved this man and his music!! I will pray for his wife, son and his extended family members! I hope the Grammy’s pay their respect tonight to this multi-Grammy winning artist.


RIP Al Jarreau

One more time....Al Jarreau has made The Dean's List 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

The Dean's List - Superbowl Edition