My Friend, My Brother - One Year Later – Part 2


In the first part of my blog, I described how we met and how our friendship blossomed. Well I guess I’m ready to say his name and tell you a few things about him, why he is loved and missed


His name is Tony Boler


The Personality

When Tony began co-hosting Memory Lane on WDKX Radio, his deep and velvety voice captured the hearts of the listeners. When people learned about his knowledge of music (if you needed the name of a song or the artist, all you had to do is hum a few bars or say a few words, Tony could answer your question), they became instant fans. But, when they were able to see into his heart every Saturday morning, listeners fell in love, men and women. He had a way of making everyone feel special. He would have lengthy conversations with people when they would call into the radio show. If out and about, and people heard him speak (they knew who is was by his unique voice), they would always tell him how much they loved him. You would have to prepare to be out a little longer with him, because he would address his listeners like long lost friends.

The DJ

Tony started a very successful DJ business. If you needed a
DJ at your wedding, prom, holiday party, fraternity/sorority function, etc…. Nine times out of ten, Tony would be the DJ. He not only supplied the music, he worked a room like no other. Tony would grab his wireless mic and get the party started! You could rest assured if Tony Boler was DJing your function, it would be lit!! He also provided music to senior citizen centers all over Rochester – free of charge. He had a very special place in his heart for the elderly. It was funny watching the senior ladies act like little school girls when he would dance with them and tell them how pretty they were!


The Friend

If you were Tony’s friend, you were blessed. From his life long friends Leroy and Larry, to Andre and Efrain. You knew you could always count on him for support, a shoulder, a laugh and a cry. During the last few years, I’ve been dealing with a spine injury and had multiple surgeries. Tony was there to fill the gap. Whenever I needed him to step in, he was there. Taking me to doctor appointments, doing airport runs picking up/dropping off my folks, taking me shopping and sometimes bringing me breakfast. He was always there. That’s the type of friend he was. 


The Family Man

There aren’t enough words to describe the type of son,
brother, uncle, father and grandfather Tony was. The pride he had for his late father, the abundant love he had for his mother (they spoke daily from her home in NC and he visited several times a year) was inspiring. Being the oldest of 10, he truly assumed the role of “big brother”, especially after his father passed away. Tony the father, was always there for his children and played an active role in everything they did. I remember him talking about his daughter Ashlynn one day. He had tears rolling down his cheeks talking about his “baby girl” growing into a woman.
He wasn’t ready to let go. And then, there was his grandchildren. He was such a proud poppa and was a doting grandpa. He spent lots of time with them, took them shopping, out to eat, changed diapers, etc… His love for all of his family was palpable! 



The Husband


This is where I held him in a higher regard than any other man I know! Tony loved his wife! He loved Lynn in a way you don’t see that often these days. He not only loved her, he liked her. After being together for almost 40 years, that’s huge! The look in his eyes when he looked at her or even talked about her when she wasn’t around was special. Being a local celebrity, women tried, but always failed to gain his attention. He always told them he was happily married, even dedicated songs to Lynn while he was on the air. Every comedy show, concert, play, etc…Tony and Lynn were together. Their love was strong, but their bond was stronger. One could only dream of having such a beautiful relationship. I know I do. A mutual friend once said she didn’t understand how Lynn allowed Tony to have a woman (me) as a close friend. I could say that Lynn trusted me, but more importantly, she trusted Tony. And that’s what made me love and respect him the most. 

The End

How do I bring this to a close? I’m afraid to and really don't know how. I have read and re-read his last text messages to me from May 3, 2017 and even took his advice.....I moved back to Phoenix!

I promised myself that I would write my heart out on the one-year anniversary of his death. It still seems like it was yesterday I received that call. It seems like it was yesterday I saw him one last time at the funeral home. It seems like it was just yesterday I lost my friend, my brother. I can only pray that we will one day meet again.

Please continue to keep Lynn and family in your prayers. As you have read, he was an incredible man and is missed a great deal! I thank you Lynn for allowing me into your lives. I will always be here for you!

One last time – Anthony “Wardell” Boler has made The Dean’s List

Love Always, “Deanie Mae”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of Mrs. Gloria Langston

Looking For A Hot Tub Salesman

Dear Michael.....I Remember The Time